If you’ve got yellow streaks or dark spots on your teeth, you could do with a tooth whitening procedure. But aside from getting your teeth professionally cleaned, you should also follow these teeth whitening maintenance tips to keep them looking sparkly and clean.
How to maintain white teeth:
- Stick to your in-home teeth cleaning regime. If you don’t brush and floss twice daily, it won’t be long before food particles discolour your teeth. You could consider using a powered toothbrush to prevent plaque formation. Sonic brushes are a good alternative because they remove plaque in hard-to-reach areas. If you remove plaque regularly, your teeth will be free from yellow tartar deposits.
- Change your toothbrush/brush head after 3 months, or if the bristles look worn out otherwise brushing won’t as effective.
- Tongue cleaning is often neglected. The tongue harbours a lot of bacteria that promotes tooth decay. Don’t forget to use a tongue scraper or a tongue brush to clean your tongue every day. Always clean from the back of the tongue to the front. Regular tongue cleaning prevents halitosis and plaque formation.
- If you’ve consumed sugary or acidic foods, wait for at least an hour before brushing your teeth. Acidic foods can soften the enamel. If you brush soon after eating something acidic, you’ll scrub some of the enamel away. You could however, rinse your mouth with water soon after eating or drinking. It is best to remove food particles stuck between your teeth as soon as possible.
- Acidic foods stain your enamel; this makes your teeth appear yellow or dark brown in colour. If you want white teeth, cut back on foods like berries, curries and candies. Also reduce the amount of tea, coffee or red wine you drink. This will help you keep your teeth looking whiter for longer.
- Change your lifestyle to improve your oral health. For example, if you smoke or chew tobacco, you’ll likely develop dark stained teeth.
- It’s helpful to eat crunchy fruits and vegetables that clean your teeth and gums. Apples, celery, carrots, and broccoli are good options. Also eat fruits high in Vitamin C as this particular vitamin helps with curing gum disease.
- Lastly, your teeth could become discoloured when you choose metal crowns or amalgam. They’re known to contain silver-sulphide. This solid causes darkening around the gums and the enamel of the tooth. Ask for all-ceramic crowns instead.
Teeth whitening in Sydney
It’s important to get your teeth cleaned every 6 months. You can also whiten your teeth at the dental clinic if they look discoloured. Professional teeth whitening procedures don’t take long and give you great results.
Visit Gordon Family Dental for professional teeth whitening and cleaning. Our dental practitioners have many years of experience and they’ll go the extra mile to make sure you’re comfortable during any dental procedure.
We have the latest diagnostic machines and offer a whole range of services including crowns, veneers, and invisible braces.
Call us on (02) 9199 7212 to make enquires about teeth whitening or check out some of our other servicesonline to find out more.